Register

Buying skins for shopping cart

For discussion on various ecommerce shopping carts.

Moderator: Staff

Mayor

Buying skins for shopping cart

Postby Stampy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:28 am

Hi

I'm going to be doing this anyway, so I will be finding out for myself, but just wondered what others experiences were before I got started.

Say I've installed a shopping cart (cubecart for example), and then purchase a ready made template/skin, which I install.

How easy is it then to alter the template with own wording, add products and content pages etc? Is it just a question of using the admin section to add things, or is it a bit more complicated?

I know it's probably dependant on what cart, and what skin, but a general idea would be great.

Thanks in advance.

King Member

Postby paulc010 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 am

Most of the text should be changeable either from the admin area or by editing a specific language file.

Products are added "template" fashion from the database. You'll enter the product data via the admin panel.

Extra pages will depend very much on the cart you use.

Paul
"I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code"

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 am

Stampy wrote:How easy is it then to alter the template with own wording, add products and content pages etc? Is it just a question of using the admin section to add things, or is it a bit more complicated?

A template or skin shouldn't affect your product listings as such, only the way in which it is presented. Think of it as an outline or a background, everything else is put in on top. The only thing you might come up against with a template is if you want to change something that is fixed, i.e. something that is an image, but this wouldn't be too difficult to change for most OS carts.

Have you seen PC's offer for a CubeCart skin?
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

Mayor

Postby Stampy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks both, that helps.

I have seen PC's offer, but I don't have an existing cubecart store, and the one I'm installing is v4 unfortunately.

I'm still pursuing the magento route with cubecart as my backup. I've got magento hosted and I can get a free magento skin that I can play around with to see if I can use it, then buy the skin I want for around £75. If I can't use it then I'll go with the cubecart option.

Mayor

Postby JhnStcks » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 am

I just started using cubecart for my next website. Couldn't find anything free that I liked, so bought a skin for a tenner and modified it to what i want.

I found it quite easy to change the layout, move boxes and alter the headings etc. Although i do know quite a bit of HTML, which made it easier.

Forum Advertiser

Postby PeteVA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Stampy, CubeCart comes with a couple of skins out of the box. And it has a dropdown in the admin which lists the skins available, As you add a new skin to the "skins" folder, it automatically shows up as a choice and you select it. Simple enough.

Some need no editing, others do have the shop name imbedded in the new header and do need a bit of editing. 90% of my CC clients are newbies and they either do it thmeselves or pay me a standard $ 15 to do it for them. Not a major chore.

Must say, particulalrly since it is still heavily in development, why you are so keen on Magento?

What about it is so unique that you MUST have it?

What will it do that the others will not?

Keep in mind these folks just recently added PayPal, way into the development. Most developers aiming for the small business market would have had PayPal there from V1.0.0.0

King Member

Postby paulc010 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:09 pm

PeteVA wrote:What about it is so unique that you MUST have it?

Magento is a grown-up solution, and that in itself is tempting. The feature list is pretty impressive. It shouldn't really be confused with the other open source carts, in that it has been built to support a business model - providing the benefits of open source software, but with paid design and support that can compete with proprietory packages that cost much more even just to licence. It doesn't require the code-level "fiddling" that the other open source carts are plagued by either.

There are many similarities between it and cubecart with the twist that they don't have a paid version at all. It could potentially kill off cubecart in the more affluent pay-for-skins market in the (near?) future.

I certainly wouldn't judge it on paypal support. Paypal accounts for a piddling amount of online retail sales compared to straight credit-card transactions processed by the "big boys".....

Is it suitable for drop-shippers? I'm still undecided, as it seems the total cost of ownership is a bit high right now....

Paul
"I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code"

Mayor

Postby Stampy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Magento isn't a 'must have', it's more a 'really like to have'.

The main thing for me is the multiple stores function. From one install of magento, I could set up and control x amount of websites, with different store fronts, products etc. This fits in very well with my business plan. I think I'm right in saying if I want five cubcart v4 stores I'd have to pay for it five times (I haven't checked this, I could be wrong).

There is a lot of other functionalilty that I like, that are not necessarily deal breakers, but if they are available, why not? Plus it's open source, with a lot better looks and functionality than many paid for solutions. As I keep telling my wife, looks aren't everything (but they help).

Because it is complex, the costs of setting up a working site may well be way to high to justify, and it may be too complex for me to use, but I don't see anything wrong with giving it a go.

I've got it installed with a one click (it was actually about 10 clicks, but still very easy!) host for £10 per month allowing unlimited domains, Msql databases, etc and I can cancel at any time without giving notice, so I don't see it as a high risk go. I've ordered a free skin which I'll install and then see if I can add products, content pages etc. If I can, I'll order a skin I really like for £75 and open my first store.

If not, I'll go to cubecart v4 which I've got on 30 day trial.

Forum Advertiser

Postby PeteVA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:00 pm

I think you can get discounts on additional copies on V4.

With V3 you and have any number of shops share the same database.

And there are several OSCMall types that will let you open any number of shops from a central OSC site.

And thanks, for the response. After trying several times as they developed Magento, I just walked away. I don't feel I could offer it to the small businesses I deal with and have a clear conscience.

I'm for "set it and forget it", not ongoing maintenance - at a fee, usually. I look for something a newbie can set up on their own, with a free support forum where people speak in words that make it through the spellcheck.

Return to Carts