Register

Giving option of recorded delivery

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

-# Moderator

Giving option of recorded delivery

Postby laggardlady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:27 pm

I've set up my delivery using zone rates, items being posted normal 1st class delivery.

I would like to give customers an option of using recorded delivery/signed for delivery if outwith the UK, if they want to but can't find a mod which would do this. Does anyone know how to do it? :D

Thanks in advance

-# Administrator

Postby Robbo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm

I don't know about Zencart but in some older versions of CRE it has to be added manually. You should be able to find something in the Zencart add-on area? Failing that you could change another existing option to do what you need?
I am the site administrator but do not moderate the forum. Please direct all moderation queries to a moderator.

Sponsors: DevilWear
Want to advertise on the forum? look here

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Robbo I've been searching for ages :lol: and can't find anything which is why I thought I would ask, hoping someone could come up with the perfect answer for me, saving me time and grief :D. I also can't find any I could modify to do what I want. I've done so previously when using another cart which had a lot more options, but from the options in zen, if there are any that could do it, I can't find them.

I'll keep looking and have a think about another way of doing it but if someone comes along in the meantime and solves my problem for me that would be brilliant :)

Supreme Member

Postby bill7096 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 pm

I've done something similar by using the Optional Shipping Insurance Module http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=348

I have used it to give the option of express delivery in the UK as an extra to my standard free shipping. Perhaps you could do something similar.

Bill

King Member

Postby Wayzgoose » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Just hash around the other options then dig out the files to change the description. I've got all sorts of options that way. Recorded, Special, Europe, Rest of the World etc.

Forum Advertiser

Postby PeteVA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:17 pm

The lack of shipping options and limit of 4 (I think it was) methods or zones is what kept me from Zen from the start. I paid 2 people to make it where I could have what I needed, but both gave up. It seems to be a problem.

But what I wonder is why you would give buyers the option at a cost? Recorded / registered is for your protection, should they claim non-delivery. There is no benefit to them.

I offer it as an option, but I am shipping for others and it is up to them if they want the protection of delivery confirmation, or not. I would think that if you are selling to the end buyer, few would pay extra for your benefit.

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Bill thanks very much for that. I've installed it but it's not what I'm looking for. I would like to show the shipping rate at checkout for the customer and they get offered the chance to add recorded/insurance at an extra amount if they want it. I wanted that amount to be seperate from the delivery charge and that one doesn't seem to do it or else I don't know how to work it :lol:

Alan I will have a shot at that but not sure it can do the above. When I worked in cre-loaded I had loads more options which I could play around with but have never tried this before and I'm thinking it's not possible.

Pete, I hear what your saying and agree but this is for something different and I want to be able to do it if I can. :D

If I can't, well it's back to the drawing board for me :(

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Forum Advertiser

Postby PeteVA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Nothing to it with Open Cart. :)

No Life

Postby Bhuna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm

If you cannot get a module to do it at all in addition to what you use, you could consider adding a Product for the customer to add to the cart - consider then adding a link to it within the shipping page then or a one button click to add to cart during checkout if thats possible.

Supreme Member

Postby bill7096 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:46 pm

laggardlady wrote:Bill thanks very much for that. I've installed it but it's not what I'm looking for. I would like to show the shipping rate at checkout for the customer and they get offered the chance to add recorded/insurance at an extra amount if they want it. I wanted that amount to be seperate from the delivery charge and that one doesn't seem to do it or else I don't know how to work it :lol:

Hi LL
It shows up at stage 2 of the checkout process whereby the customer can tick the box to add whatever you have named it. I think the default is 'Shipping Insurance', I just changed mine to read express delivery.

Bill

No Life

Postby Bhuna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 pm

You could consider adding a Cloned Zone Rates.

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=1409

then go into the php files and amend the wording that will be displayed to something like "Recorded"

then in all your zones put the prices for recorded delivery.

The customer should then get a choice from both options - one will be displaying your normal price - the other your recorded delivery price.

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Bill, I've played around with it and set up zones and it is now working. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It took me ages to set it up as I had already set up 3 zones or at least was trying to. Could not get anything to add to Europe for some reason. That's sorted now as I deleted it and started again. It's amazing how an hour in bed having a nap can get the brain working again :lol:

I've now set up just the two zones, UK and International, sorted the insurance bit and it works like a dream.

It also helps when you search using the right words. I was searching using 'recorded' and nothing useful was there whereas after your post I searched using 'insurance' and got loads of results.

Bhuna, thanks for that link. I will be saving this thread in my favourites for future reference so hopefully I will be sorted for the next time :D

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Okay I have this sorted now working with 3 zones adding different amounts of insurance for each zone.

As long as zones are set up first, eg UK, Europe and ROW once you install the module it will show the option for 3 zones under the mod in order_totals in your admin and you can set what price you want.

From what I've read and understood, so check it out for yourself first, you could set up more zones and it would add the option in the insurance module for the amount of zones you have set up so if you wanted 6 for some reason it should work fine as long as the zones are set up first.

Return to Other Carts