Register

How to install Google Base and any Add On for that matter!

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

How to install Google Base and any Add On for that matter!

Postby Noodles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi All,
Apologies of this has been answered already but am at the end of my tether (Irish phrase maybe, sorry!). i have searched the Zen-Cart website for instructions as to how to install Add Ons and I find the website very technical for someone like me. Hopefully someone here can send some easy guidelines as to how to install Add Ons? I have downloaded the Google Base (Froogle) Feeder and can see the instructions below when I open up the documentation.html file. I'm afraid its double-dutch to me. Does anyone have a list of easy to understand instructions?
Many thanks in advance.

Install

Unzip and upload all files to your store directory (except .sql files);
Chmod feed directory to 777
Go to Admin->Tools->Install SQL Patches and install googlefroogle.sql by copying and pasting (do not upload);
Go to http://base.google.com and create/sign to your account. Follow the link on the right hand side of their website to create your FTP account.
Go to Admin->Configuration->Google Base Configuration and setup all parameters;
Register your bulk upload .xml file using the same name in your Google Base Configuration at base.google.com
Go to Admin->Tools>Google Base Feeder and follow instructions to create, view, and upload feed file.

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Which part don't you understand so we can help you better. For instance do you know how to unzip the programme?

End of my tether is well known here as well :)

Edited to add, it maybe helpful to you if you try a really simple mod first so you get the hang of the jargon.
Last edited by Baa on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

Postby Noodles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks Baa. I'm stuck right at the beginning with the first 2 instructions:

1. Unzip and upload all files to your store directory (except .sql files);

I understand that here I would upload the files in the "Admin" folder to the corresponding "Admin" folder on my site, (same with the Includes Folder) but what about the other folders/files, where would they go e.g. sql updates folder, module_version folder, googlefroogle.php file?

2. Chmod feed directory to 77

No idea what this means!

Also, can you give me an example of an easy add-on?

-# Moderator

Postby EvoCart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:08 am

1) right click on file and click extract to...

2) Using your FTP programme, upload all files into the public_html main route folder (it'll work out which files go where by the file layout of the mod) Just leave the .sql file for the time being.

3) Sounds like there is a folder or document called "feed directory" right click on this and select properties, and change to 77 (this is done through your ftp client - online)

Hopefully that is a bit easyier to understand, and correct, have never installed this mod before so just guessing by what you have written on here.

Good Luck.
EvoCart eCommerce Solutions - 14 day free trial!
~ Online Stores | Domain Names | Web Hosting ~

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 am

An easy add on is Sales Report (which is one I find very useful as well)
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks for your replies. I managed to move the folders and files via FTP but as for the chmod feed directory to 77, can you give me a bit more info on what parameter I need to change to 77? There doesn't seem to be any numerical parameter at all. Also i'm stuck with a Macbook pro so maybe its a parameter which doesn't show under my properties?

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:15 am

do you have a list of Read Write and Exectue?

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 am

Yes, I have read and write access. Theres no "execute" option.

-# Moderator

Postby EvoCart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 am

If you go to the file, right click on it and select "change permissions" then it should have the permissions (possibibly 3 didgets like 755) which you need to change to 77

You will peobably end up with 770 (all three user and groups ticked, not world by the looks of things)

May even already be set to the right number with any luck.

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks for your replies. I managed to move the folders and files via FTP but as for the chmod feed directory to 77, can you give me a bit more info on what parameter I need to change to 77? There doesn't seem to be any numerical parameter at all. Also i'm stuck with a Macbook pro so maybe its a parameter which doesn't show under my properties?

What FTP programme are you using?

I use an iMac so may I ask what are you pressing to change the permissions?

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 am

I'm using a Macbook Pro and cant right click. I can change permissions to read/write on the folder alright but theres no numerical value in the properties section that I can change. Time to invest in a PC I guess!

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 am

I'm using a Macbook Pro and cant right click. I can change permissions to read/write on the folder alright but theres no numerical value in the properties section that I can change. Time to invest in a PC I guess!

OK Right click on the Mac is holding control down and clicking with the mouse. You can do everything you can on a PC on a Mac, it's just a different method of operation.

Using your FTP programme look for the file info or info section (usually under file but I use CyberDuck and yours maybe different), you can change the file permissions that way.

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 am

I'm using Filezilla and sorry, but i've spent the last half hour looking for what you have suggested with no joy. When I highlight the "Feed" folder, theres a "File" option at the top of my screen but no option to make a change to file permissions or anything like it.

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Noodles, on my ftp program I have never found anything like that either :lol:

I usually go into my cpanel and change permissions from there so it might be quicker for you to do that

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 pm

YES it worked! I use CPanel too so I found it there. Thanks Laggard Lady, Baa and Hostmyshop for all your help, really appreciate it. Lets hope the next steps are a bit friendlier!

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Ahh right I've never used Filezilla so I don't know what's on it. CyberDuck is a Mac only FTP programme, it's got that function on it, I agree with LaggardLady, Cpanel is a good way to do it.

-# Moderator

Postby EvoCart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 pm

I either use Dreamweaver to upload individual pages, or these days I tend to upload and edit most things using CPanel as it's usually much quicker and doesn't tend to time out on me :)

Stuck again!

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Didn't take me long to come back......... am I just thick or does everyone go through this???!!!! I'm stuck on point 3 of the installation now (1st post)! Firstly theres no file called "googlefroogle.sql", only "googlefroogle.php". I went with the .php file and copied and pasted the contents pf the file into the main field in Admin/tools/install SQL Patches, followed by the ; and 'send'. I got an error as follows:

1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'in:
[If you were entering information, press the BACK button in your browser and re-check the information you had entered to be sure you left no blank fields.

Any ideas????????

-# Moderator

Postby EvoCart » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:44 pm

I just downloaded the mod and looked at the instructions and I couldn't find it either, looks like you need to download version 1.33a from http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=473 and that has the file so you can just use that one, don't use any of the other old files though as it's just that .sql file you need.

King Member

Postby scotserve » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Filezilla - file permissions - just highlight the file you want to set and right click mouse then select file permissions

Postby Noodles » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks Scotserve - we sorted that one yesterday.

I'm still having a problem with point 3 of the installation instructions (1st post above). The file googlefroogle.sql does not exist in the current version and has not existed for many versions. I downloaded an old version as suggested by HostMyShop but this file cannot be opened. I get a Stuffit Expander message of "Unable to Determine file format".

Any ideas anyone?

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 pm

You can open SQL files with Text Edit and copy from that.

-# Moderator

Postby EvoCart » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:13 pm

If you PM me your email address then I will email you the sql file so you have it.

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I think Noodles means they can't open the file, if I try and open any SQL file without specifying the programme to use I get the same error message as Noodles.

If you specify Text Edit on the open with command, it will open.

Postby Noodles » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Ok, I opened the file using Text Editor and it seemed to work although i'm not sure! When I copied and pasted the text and clicked "send", it seemed to list the text back to me on the page with the heading "query results". I left it at that and continued through the points. Now i'm stuck with the final point:

Go to Admin->Tools>Google Base Feeder and follow instructions to create, view, and upload feed file.

I dont have Google Base Feeder as an option under Tools. I transferred all files (Except .sql files) to the site via FTP as per the first instruction.

My question is, should Google Base Feeder show as an option under tools if I followed all previous steps correctly?

Apologies for continuing to harass you but i'm not prepared to give up....yet. Thanks.

Next

Return to Other Carts