Register

Help needed to upgrade zc

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

Just Starting Out
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 am
Location: uk

Help needed to upgrade zc

Postby deamoon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi,
As stated i need help how to upgrade my Zen Cart with no loss of data because i can not afford to do so, took me to much time to put all together to get to this state. I tried to read zen forum how to but im so stupid and still can't get it right or understand what should i do there. Maybe some one could make some screens of what to put where or something because as i said i just can't make it work for me . I'm presently using: v1.3.9a

Thank you all who will respond to this post and help me out.

-# Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 6155
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby laggardlady » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:57 pm

If the version you are currently using is working fine, maybe you would be better leaving it :lol:

I haven't upgraded my sites v 1.3.8a, far too risky for me, as I installed one site through installatron, version 1.3.9b which doesn't offer Nochex for payment. I installed the Nochex module but it still doesn't work right.

They seem to keep coming out with new versions every couple of weeks at the moment so you might be better holding off until it all settles down.

Maybe wait and see what help others can give you.

Super Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:52 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby dropbop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 am

deamoon wrote:I'm presently using: v1.3.9a


As far as I know thats the latest stable version.

I am using the same version on 3 sites, and 1.3.8a on a few others, and i dont think I iwll be upgrading for a long while yet.

The only thing I think you should try and do is change the admin folder.

There are a few steps to doing it. If this is what your trying to do, let em know and I can post here some step-by-step instructions and images.

DB

I Live Here
Posts: 7323
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Cheshire

Postby eemarket » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 am

They are now up to 1.3.9D

I am not brave enough to risk upgrading my sites yet, was intending to, but shyed off after failing to do a new install on another site.
What chance does a newbie have when oldies are having problems?

Super Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:52 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby dropbop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:55 am

Cant edit my post, but was meant to say im using 1.3.9b not 'a' as I suggested.

Yeah, anything from 1.3.8 up is fine, they all have pretty much the same stuff in them. The only thing that make upgrading difficult is if you have a lot of mods installed and made any changes to the core files.

A big no no is when people don't use the template system, and start changing files from the default-template and other core files.

Just Starting Out
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 am
Location: uk

Postby deamoon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 am

Ok thanks guys for this info. In this case ill better of staying with my current version.
I changed my admin folder already. :)

Elite Member
User avatar
Posts: 4341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Existential quandary

Postby Baa » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:23 am

You can easily upgrade the 1.3.9 versions by reading this thread http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156619

Here's the important bit:

NOTE:
If you're upgrading from v1.3.9a or b or c, you can simply update the files listed in the various "Changelog for v1.3.9b" or "c" in the /docs/ folder of the download zip.


Download the latest version then go into your Docs folder in the root of the version 1.3.9d and find a file called changelog-v1-3-9a.html and find the file names and paths in. It's a mere 4 files to delete.

If you don't know how to delete the files, find the folders in the file path, which looks like /includes/languages/english, in other words find the folders called includes, that would be the one you can see when you open the file structure, then open it and find languages and open that and find english and open that and delete the file named in that last folder.
Last edited by Baa on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

King Member
User avatar
Posts: 2596
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Scottish Highlands

Postby scotserve » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:57 pm

Those not upgrading from 1.3.8 may be forced to if their hosts upgrade to PHP 5.3 as it screws up

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 am

scotserve wrote:Those not upgrading from 1.3.8 may be forced to if their hosts upgrade to PHP 5.3 as it screws up


I have a question for you; well not directly to you, Bryon, but I would be interested in your answer, nonetheless.

If you were previously selling Zencart version 1.3.8, on PHP4 servers, then security holes on such servers - or cPanel screw-ups, and cPanel not supporting PHP4 anymore (or whatever the reason), you HAD to move to PHP5 servers, but all your customers websites only worked on PHP4 (without fixes), would you offer the fixes for free?

And let's say each fix took you minimum 25 minutes to complete for each website (or whatever amount of time).

The point/question is: Would you hold the host liable to ensure the website you sold them worked, even though software upgrades beyond your control (servers, now-non-supported cPanel, or versions of cart) created the issue? Or would you see it as a 'reasonable' business decision to naturally pass on a charge for such work?

Super Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:52 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby dropbop » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:53 am

scotserve wrote:Those not upgrading from 1.3.8 may be forced to if their hosts upgrade to PHP 5.3 as it screws up


Ah yeah, good point, forgot about that.

King Member
User avatar
Posts: 2596
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Scottish Highlands

Postby scotserve » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:41 am

DVDdropship wrote:
scotserve wrote:Those not upgrading from 1.3.8 may be forced to if their hosts upgrade to PHP 5.3 as it screws up


I have a question for you; well not directly to you, Bryon, but I would be interested in your answer, nonetheless.

If you were previously selling Zencart version 1.3.8, on PHP4 servers, then security holes on such servers - or cPanel screw-ups, and cPanel not supporting PHP4 anymore (or whatever the reason), you HAD to move to PHP5 servers, but all your customers websites only worked on PHP4 (without fixes), would you offer the fixes for free?

And let's say each fix took you minimum 25 minutes to complete for each website (or whatever amount of time).

The point/question is: Would you hold the host liable to ensure the website you sold them worked, even though software upgrades beyond your control (servers, now-non-supported cPanel, or versions of cart) created the issue? Or would you see it as a 'reasonable' business decision to naturally pass on a charge for such work?


Its actually a very good question and one I dealt with when moving from PHP4 to PHP5 initially we ran concurrent versions so we could see what scripts were having problems and which were not and could swap around minimising downtime.

Some clients were willing to do the changes themselves and others we helped out - I see no issue with charging for something like this. Despite movements into selling sites I reverted back to our core business and sell hosting so the question does not really apply but for someone likes of yourself who sells complete solutions then the situation is different.

If people use opensource ( free) software then I think it is more than reasonable that charges should be made where their chosen software is no longer compatible. Security has to be the most important part of server administration so server software has to be updated to help stop the bad guys.

I think overall though the question comes down to what the client has been sold - have they been sold hosting or have they been sold a site and even then its a bit fo a grey area.

Elite Member
User avatar
Posts: 4341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Existential quandary

Postby Baa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 am

I can't see a grey area myself, if I've bought a site as part of a business package and have a years contract or more then I see it as the responsibility of the people who sold that site to keep it up to date if changes are made to servers or hosting that are out of my scope of choice.

When I previously bought a shop like that, it was all inclusive. After all I'm not an expert that's why I went for that package in the first place.
Last edited by Baa on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 am

So when Microsoft stop supporting XP, meaning no updates for security holes, will they have to give you an upgrade to Window's 7 for free?

Or when 4 star petrol was scrapped, and you had your car on a 10 year finance deal, would it have been the responsibility of Ford to convert your car to unleaded, just because upgrades beyond your (and their) control rendered your purchase unusable?

It is certainly an interesting one, and I personally think it is a chargeable situation. The purchase, any purchase is based on the current climate - it has to be, so if that climate changes, then how can that be the responsibility of the provider?

King Member
User avatar
Posts: 2596
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Scottish Highlands

Postby scotserve » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am

When I said a grey area I meant it depended on the contract - if the contract as Baa describes is for the for the provision of an all in one package then I do not think the customer should be charged - whereas if the contract is for the supply of the individual elements albeit rolled into a solution for convenience then there is an argument to charge for selected tasks.

To use your Windows scenario - no you are quite correct in that they should not have to provide the upgrade for nothing - however what if the original contract of purchase was to be supplied with windows ?

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 am

I think it is about the initial contract, and there will be disgruntled customers on either side.

We actually still use XP, on about 7 machines, and would not want to upgrade, but will be forced to at some stage, and expect to pay.

Getting back on track. For hosts that provide Zencart (we don't anymore), and are providing Zencart version 1.3.8, then to protect themselves from the inevitable, they would ideally place it in their terms: "You will be installed with shopping cart Zencart version 1.3.8. Which is currently compatible with servers running PHP4. If the situation arises, whereby we as a host are forced to upgrade to PHP5 for the protection....etc, etc.."

I think sometimes customers can come across and say "Yeah, but, but, but I paid and you will fix it..or I will..." But in reality, a little common sense has to come into it. Yes, customers are customers, but yes, companies have to be in a position to provide, and not taken advantage of just because they have received a payment.

It is certainly interesting, and we did have a similar situation with a handful of older dpbuk customers running older software about 6 months ago. We did charge a minimal fee, and nobody complained.

What matters here, in this instance, is that servers are protected. But this question is not just about servers, but ALL such upgrades. Like you say, the contract of sale has to dictate this for all concerned.
Last edited by DVDdropship on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

No Life
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: Gloucester

Postby Bhuna » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

Obviously it would depend on contract/terms and conditions etc however if I am just hosted with someone then I would expect to either have to do it myself or pay for it to be done. I would however expect the hosting company to give a sufficient amount of notice before such upgrades are required though so I can ensure a thorough testing myself of any changes.

As for buying a package with hosting/site - if I had only just bought it the week before the company announced the changes then I would question about getting the change free, because they would have been aware that these changes are required when they sold me the site - however if I had owned the site for a while and changes were required I would again consider it my responsibility to either pay or change it myself - how long you define "a while" is - then that can be quite debatable.

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 am

Bhuna wrote:because they would have been aware that these changes are required when they sold me the site


That is not always the case. Because when a new PHP version comes out, there are always holes to be found that need plugging, and even when the PHP coders themselves know about them, they do not always see fit to complete the updates on the software.

EDIT: Just to add to that, the customers that we did charge was a specific issue to their websites, and in March this year, we spent a good 5 figure sum completing global changes for security of customer's websites, and did not pass on any of the costs. This was due to a fundamental PHP5 hole we found.

Look at EVAL for example, now this is a common entry for hackers, but very many websites use EVAL in their coding, including WordPress. Turn off EVAL and 99% of the blogs on the internet would need 'fixing'.

And then you have the serious security breaches provided with PHP on register_globals. None of this is clear-cut.

Elite Member
User avatar
Posts: 4341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Existential quandary

Postby Baa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 am

So when Microsoft stop supporting XP, meaning no updates for security holes, will they have to give you an upgrade to Window's 7 for free?



If you don't like answers why ask the question? This seems to have offended you

I don't use Windoze if I can help it besides which as a Mac user, the upgrades are vastly cheaper (£25) than an operating system you are subjected to buying as a Windows user.

But this isn't the same thing is it. It's not even closely related. These are choices people make, I can choose to upgrade from XP or stick with it, if someone upgrades a service that leaves my current software useless that I bought as a business package, that's not my choice
Last edited by Baa on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Baa wrote:If you don't like answers why ask the question? This seems to have offended you


Baa, are you not the most argumentative person on this forum?? :lol:

It did NOT offend me, I was merely questioning your logic behind your answer, and as it seems my questioning was valid, you come out with an accusation like that.

No wonder this place is dying.

EDIT:
Baa wrote:These are choices people make, I can choose to upgrade from XP or stick with it


Yes, and when Windows stop providing security updates, your pc will be hacked week after week. So it is not really a choice.
Last edited by DVDdropship on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elite Member
User avatar
Posts: 4341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Existential quandary

Postby Baa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:10 pm

I can be argumentative but I don't make nasty personal comments.

Don't put the blame for this place dying on me, I wasn't involved in the ridiculous fracas that meant everything got personal and nasty very quickly until after that. In fact I've spent far more time trying to inject some sanity into the petty little squabbles that occurred here in the past and frankly I'm sick of trying to walk in everyone elses shoes all the time just to keep the peace.
Last edited by Baa on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 pm

It was not meant to be personal, but the reaction to my question was seen as argumentative.

Anyway, I think the point has been raised, answered, and I don't have the time for anything else these days.

Have a good day.

Elite Member
User avatar
Posts: 4341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Existential quandary

Postby Baa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:39 pm

I will thank you and I hope you have a good day as well.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

I Live Here
Posts: 7323
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Cheshire

Postby eemarket » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:09 pm

No wonder this place is dying.


On the contrary, this place is not dying. Over 400 new members a month, over 2000 new posts a month and over 400 new topics a month.

Despite members joining other forums they keep coming back here, even if they don't always post, they do read the threads.

Elite Member
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DVDdropship » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:46 pm

eemarket wrote:Despite members joining other forums they keep coming back here, even if they don't always post, they do read the threads.

The Alexa ranking on this forum has dropped month after month for the last 8 months, which shows activity has declined.

The core benefit is past postings which contain a wealth of information. The rest is now just general.

Just an observation.

King Member
User avatar
Posts: 2733
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: North Wales

Postby Wayzgoose » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Perhaps that's because a huge amount of questions have already been answered and visitors are now using the search facility more.

Alan.

Next

Return to Other Carts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests