Register

Which is better...?

Anything other than dropshipping to be discussed here.

Moderator: Staff

Which is better Football or Rugby?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Rugby
50%
Football
50%

Total votes : 10

Which is better...?

Postby noobiedropper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Football....
or
Rugby...

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Better than what?

Sex,
Driving a powerful car?
Being a millionaire?

Postby noobiedropper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:48 pm

wtf no.. whats the better sport?

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Considering football is the most popular sport on the planet then its really a moot point. And yes is it bigger than all the American sports.

Postby badgespa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:50 am

Rugby. No doubt about it.

For the following reasons:
-Rugby players don't cry when someone takes their legs from under them.
-Rugby players abide by the refs decision.
-Footballers are overpaid.
-England can, and have won the Rugby World Cup (Can the footballers? Course not)
-Rugby fans stand next to each other in the stands, with no fighting!
Dropship Official Licensed Music Film and TV Merchandise. Retro Tv, Hollywood Blockbusters, The Biggest Bands all at: www.dropship.badgespatches.com

Postby noobiedropper » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:14 am

badgespa,
finally lol

Ive been playing rugby for... urm
13 years now...
tried football was incredibly boring, slow and everyone involved was just soft
now rugby is a real mans game!
ENGLAND VS WALES TODAY!!!!

edited in the y in incredibly
Last edited by noobiedropper on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elite Member

Postby DVDdropship » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:37 pm

badgespa wrote:-Rugby players don't cry when someone takes their legs from under them.

What about blood-gate? :p

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:22 pm

badgespa wrote:Rugby players abide by the refs decision

So do footballers. They might have a wee tantrum but the ref never changes his mind so the decision stands

badgespa wrote:Footballers are overpaid

Agreed but then football is far more entertaining than rugby (they dont call it the beautiful game for nothing) therefore the wages should be higher.

badgespa wrote:England can, and have won the Rugby World Cup (Can the footballers? Course not)

I'm sure England have won the football World Cup. I mean the commentators only mention 1966 at every opportunity. Also, much as it pains me to say it, under Capello they have a team capable of winning it this year too.

badgespa wrote:Rugby fans stand next to each other in the stands, with no fighting!

I have stood next to opposition fans in many stadiums or pubs with no problems. I have however seen England and Scotland rugby fans having a brawl in a pub in Edinburgh.

I dont buy the holier than thou stance from rugby fans. They like to paint footballers and football fans as thugs but only one sport allows you to rake studs down the opposition players and it aint football. There's also a fair amount of grabbing and gouging goes unpunished in those scrums.

Having said all that I dont mind a bit of rugby union especially the six nations and world cup but football wins every time for me.

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Football is full of kiddies who want to be models when they grow up. Rugby is a real man's game!

I hate watching sport but given a choice of rugby, football or die, it's rugby everytime.
Last edited by Baa on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Baa wrote:Football is full of kiddies who want to be models when they grow up. Rugby is a real man's game!

Lets face it though rugby players aren't going to make good models what with cauliflower ears, missing teeth and flat noses. If the definition of a mans game is one where the participants end up disfigured then I must be a big girl :D

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:38 pm

gordym75 wrote:Lets face it though rugby players aren't going to make good models what with cauliflower ears, missing teeth and flat noses. If the definition of a mans game is one where the participants end up disfigured then I must be a big girl :D

Not all of rugby players end up looking like that. Jockeys very often end up with little or no front teeth, broken noses etc, probably more so than rugby players. Violence has nothing to do with it being a man's game.

Ever since the 80s, football seems to be increasingly full of people more concerned with looks and money than actually playing football, not just the players but all the hangers on too.
Last edited by Baa on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. (Seneca)

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Baa wrote:Ever since the 80s, football seems to be increasingly full of people more concerned with looks and money than actually playing football, not just the players but all the hangers on too.

I agree with that. There's far too much celebrity attached to football now but the actual sport itself is unrivalled for entertainment, drama, passion and popularity. For example, my team - Rangers - have won the league on the very last day of the season on 3 occasions since 2003. Two fo those occasions with practically the last kick of the entire season. I'm sure Steven will recall with some fondness his team winning the Champions League in the dying seconds in 1999. Then of course there was Liverpool in 2005, coming from 3-0 down at half time to win that same tournament. I know rugby afficionados will point to Johnny Wilkinson's dramatic last gasp winner in the World Cup but rugby just doesn't generate the magic that football does. Nor does it appeal to around half the world's population.

Comparing rugby to football is like comparing a family saloon car to a Ferrarri.

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:06 pm

gordym75 wrote:just doesn't generate the magic that football does

I must say whenever someone mentions football these days ....... :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Sorry 'bout that, ...

:zzz: happens.

All this popularity just says, good advertising to me. With so much money to be made from what is essentially just a few blokes kicking an artificial bladder skin around a bit of well kept lawn, it's not surprising that the money men are keen to promote it far and wide and part of that is making kids celebrities.

Cricket is the world's second most popular sport and ranks higher than football in a number of countries. A very different animal to football.

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Baa wrote:Cricket

Noooooooo! The only game on the planet that is more boring to play than it si to watch. :D

Hardly a "man's game" either considering they all run off when it starts raining and stop play to have tea.

Baa wrote:what is essentially just a few blokes kicking an artificial bladder skin around a bit of well kept lawn

We could reduce any sport to a similar description. Rugby could be no more than some overgrown muscle men man handling each other in pursuit of an odd shaped ball. Most, if not all, sports require a great deal of skill and a high level of fitness to play properly though.

Elite Member

Postby Baa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 pm

gordym75 wrote:
Noooooooo! The only game on the planet that is more boring to play than it si to watch. :D

Cricket is fascinating.

gordym75 wrote:We could reduce any sport to a similar description. Rugby could be no more than some overgrown muscle men man handling each other in pursuit of an odd shaped ball. Most, if not all, sports require a great deal of skill and a high level of fitness to play properly though.

Yes of course we could but my point being is that this is all it (and any other sport) is, it's the advertising and media that keep the whole thing rich as Croesus and hooking the youngsters into watching it. Simlar things happen with other sports in countries where football isn't the only religion of the media or barely features at all.

It's like watching a soap, once you get into it, it becomes a habit that's hard to break. It's boring as hades but the media keeps it going

As Hitler said "Your child belongs to us already... "

I'm slinking off. Having essentially linked football and soap operas with the philosophy of Hitler, I'm sure it won't help my popularity in this thread :D :D :D
Last edited by Baa on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby badgespa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:33 pm

After I wrote my first post, I remembered an old quote, it was more prominant in the 70's and 80's but still rings true today:

Rugby is a holigans game played by gentlemen.
Football is a gentlemens game played by holigans.
Dropship Official Licensed Music Film and TV Merchandise. Retro Tv, Hollywood Blockbusters, The Biggest Bands all at: www.dropship.badgespatches.com

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Not one of you has mentioned the real sport...Rugby League :D

Cat firmly amongst pigeons now :laugh:

Postby noobiedropper » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:46 pm

rugby league annoys me lol

i agree that rugby does leave people disfigured tho lol. 2 years ago i was dumped onto my back and fractured my spine and couldn't walk for 2 months lol

still an awesome game

football annoys me for the simple reason that the players are not a good role model for modern society. People may be offended, but take the recent JT event. You never hear of rugby players going out and sleeping around. They lead by example and if younger people followed rugby rather then football the world would be a much better place...

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:55 pm

noobiedropper wrote:football annoys me for the simple reason that the players are not a good role model for modern society. People may be offended, but take the recent JT event. You never hear of rugby players going out and sleeping around. They lead by example and if younger people followed rugby rather then football the world would be a much better place...

That'a total nonsense. As Steven mentioned earlier what about the "Bloodgate" thing? Or Mathieu Bastareaud? You dont hear as much about rugby players stepping out of line simply because rugby doesn't get as much media coverage as football.

There are numerous footballers out there who are great role models for kids. True professionals who are at the highest level their sport offers and conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status. I'm thinking off the top of my head about guys like Ryan Giggs, Henrik Larsson, Lionel Messi etc.

-# Moderator

Postby jamhun » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:09 pm

What do footballers and Kleenex toilet tissue have in common..

Both are very soft and overpriced

Rugby, a game played by men with odd shaped balls

As you have probably realised by now I am not really into either of these sports, but I live in a house where both she who must be obeyed and he who won't do what he's told love both, thats why I spend most of my time on my puter..

James

Postby badgespa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:08 pm

noobiedropper wrote:You never hear of rugby players going out and sleeping around

Will Carling and Princess Di?

The drug issues........... But he will now play for Saracens when the ban ends.

And of course the bloodgate stuff.

But the other reason why you don't hear so much about it, is that at a professional level, there are less rugby players than football players. Rugby is also very much 'old boys' so not as much gets out. Normally the player gets a sharp talking to, before it gets in the hands of the press.

Plus the press would rather expose a household name football player, as it will sell more papers than a rugby player. If the NOTW exposed a rugby player, half the country would just say 'who????'

<edited to change gordys name to noobiedropper in the quote>
Last edited by badgespa on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:18 pm

That's weird, badgespa's message quotes me as having said something that noobiedropper said. I've seen that happen before on here but no idea why.

<Gordy I've changed that bit now. Was thinking of not telling anyone and let them think you were mad> :D
Last edited by gordym75 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby noobiedropper » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:57 pm

lol ye im biased tho cuz i hate football and love rugby

Postby pure-wicked » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:05 pm

football annoys me for the simple reason that the players are not a good role model for modern society. People may be offended, but take the recent JT event. You never hear of rugby players going out and sleeping around. They lead by example and if younger people followed rugby rather then football the world would be a much better place...

Sorry but absolute rubbish, my wife went out with her friends about a month ago and whilst she was out in a local club the national rugby team came into the club, they thought it was perfectly acceptable to try to use their fame to approach women, one of them tried to run their hands up the inside of my wifes legs to which they promptly had a slap.

Any sport nowadays attracts money, if it didn't it wouldn't carry on, all sports now are as much a business as any other business out there and we just have to face it. Everyones personal choice as to their favorite sport means that there is still a range of sports available, if we all enjoyed football and no one watched rugby then rugby would disappear as it wouldn't receive the sponsors or the money to continue.

As with everything else the press make a mountain out of a molehill publishing sports people's private lives, why should they? do they publish that their neighbour is seeing someone else?, no simply because no one would read it, again another business that can and does only thrive on what the public believe or don't believe.

Sorry but thats my 2 pence :D

Regards Dave

Postby noobiedropper » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 pm

ok lol everyones entitled to their opinion lol but u cant argue with the fact that cricket is boring and you dont actually need to be fit to play it...

Next

Return to Off Topic Chat