Register

Well Done Lewis!

Anything other than dropshipping to be discussed here.

Moderator: Staff

Just Starting Out

Well Done Lewis!

Postby JoMangel » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 am

Hamilton of course, qualifying in 18th and finishing 4th which has just been upgraded to 3rd. Not bad considering his car is meant to be completely uncompetitive.

Postby TRWebBusinesses » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:52 am

Well Done Lewis?

He got there by default, silly mistakes by Kubica, vettel. the ferraris not finishing and Time penalties for Glock etc.

Im happy that button wiped the smile of the Hamiltons face...good to see an English lad who hasnt had everything handed to him on a plate win the Grand prix

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Excellent performance by the Braun team, and nice of Honda to help them financially through the transformation from Honda to Braun.

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 am

excelent, a formula one topic.

Now this something I can get my teeth into, especialy as at the moment I need a little mental break. not breakdown of course, just a break.

I am really enjoying Buttons rise to the top podium at the moment, and not just because I come from the same town as him, but the guy has been knocked so much over the years for being overated. you only have to look at his first win at hugary, a notoriously difficult track to win at due to the nature of the circuit, to see how good he can be, and also his season in 05 or 04 when he was on the podium for a majority of the races that year, only the ferrari team stopped any real chance of winning that season. so good on him, and good on brawn for pulling a team from the ashes of honda and making it into a winner in the first race, not something that has happened much over the 50yrs of the f1 championship. oh and barichello is doing alright as well! nice guy I like him.

come on, bring on the discussion.
Dropship another phat one!

Elite Member

Postby DVDdropship » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 pm

I think this season shows that it is maybe 95% the car, and 5% the driver?

Wouldn't it be interesting if all the drivers were given the same car to drive, with same spec, etc.? Then we would really see who the better drivers were, instead of the manufacturer's money being the dividing factor?

A bit like on Top Gear when they do that speed lap in the same car. The faster drivers would then be placed on pole position through their own merit.

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:24 pm

I do think that this season is a lot to do with which team has taken the new design rules and made the best out of them. and so yes maybe it is a little to do with the best car. but then hasn't it been like that for quite a while now? I dont think that even shumacher would have done as well in a bad car, no matter how many people say he would, if it's not possible to drive a car at high speed for what ever reason, then it is just not possible. I think an example of a driver who goes against that was damon hill, he did do some good things at the hands of an arrows in 97, when he almost won at hugary, if it wasn't for his gearbox letting down and handing the win to villneuve.

shumacher had an idea a while ago, about doing like a lottery where you would draw a car to drive and would have to race with that car for the race, obviously that has a lot of flaws and would not really work in this day and age, but it would shake things up.

I think a one make engine supply would be a start. Im still indecisive about a one make chassis, but it is a possibilty, just to equal it all out, like in indy car or formula renault and all the other starter catagories. Because this is where all the drivers start out, so why not keep them used to driving the same chassis as everyone else, you would see the good drivers come through then. I mean look at bordais, he was a multi indy car champ, which is one make, comes to f1 and cant do much atal, probably because it is not all equal, but he must be a good driver to beat the stiff competition in america, DeMatta was the same and only lasted a season or two.

The one thing that does even it out a bit is rain, thats always a good decider of tallented drivers.

Elite Member

Postby DVDdropship » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:31 pm

The one thing that does even it out a bit is rain, thats always a good decider of tallented drivers.

Yes, I agree.

Has Jenson been a bad driver over the last 3/4 years since he came into F1? Would he have been world champion if he had Lewis's car last year? I think quite possibly, as he obviously has the talent, and just need the vehicle to show it?

Interesting, eh!

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Ross Braun brought supremacy to Ferrari, now he has his own team, he is doing the same, but with less money.
The rise of the Braun team from zero to hero is an amazing story of teamwork headed by a genius.
Well done to Honda for financing the birth of the braun team

Also, well done to the Red Bull team, another underdog team rising to power after seasons of getting nowhere.

The future looks good for F1 :)

Elite Member

Postby DVDdropship » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:34 pm

eemarket wrote:The future looks good for F1 :)

Absolutely!

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:42 pm

DVDdropship wrote:Yes, I agree.

Has Jenson been a bad driver over the last 3/4 years since he came into F1? Would he have been world champion if he had Lewis's car last year? I think quite possibly, as he obviously has the talent, and just need the vehicle to show it?

Interesting, eh!

Oh totaly, I think that had been chucked around over the press and stuff all the time, would he have won sooner etc etc, maybe he does need a good car, saying that though, look at johnny herbert in the same bennenton as shumacher one won 1 race, whilst shumacher won the world championship, also brundle, he never won a race in the same benneton as schumacher when schumacher did. this is hard for me, as I never really liked the guy, but he just crops up in my examples of drivers who obviously had a good car, or it could be argued that he was just that damn good. lol
ok, heres a good one as well mansel in 92 had the best car by a country mile, but his team mate patrese only won one or two races, so as much as a good car helps, you still need the raw tallent to use it in the right way.

eemarket : totaly agree with you. its good to see that ross brawn has got the job done, also his nemesis from the ferrari v mclaren days, newey, both top men in the sport.

it is looking good.

I Live Here

Postby batespcm » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:22 pm

DVDdropship wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if all the drivers were given the same car to drive, with same spec, etc.? Then we would really see who the better drivers were, instead of the manufacturer's money being the dividing factor?

This was called the A1 GP wasn't it from a few years back don't think it took off though, it was sky's idea and just for sky, so maybe that is why, they alienated a chunk of the viewing public from the start!

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:35 pm

A1 GP still runs. its the one where the countries own the team isnt it? That runs during the off season, so when F1 is closing for the winter, A1 is starting. There is also that new one now, where football teams own the team, and it is run in a similar way to a football legue. like in quali, you have groups, the fastest two from each group go through to the next quali, and the same happens again until you get the one fastest team, who would ultimatly be on pole, I hear thet liverpool are in on it and a few other teams.

the thing about F1 is that it is as much about the car design as it is the driver, so it would be hard to tell them that they all had to use the same make of chassis.

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm

I am happy that BBC have got the rights to broadcast F!, it used to annoy me just before the race started ITV went to an ad break :evil:

We need a new commentator though, the present one is boring and lacks 'the passion' , we need Murray Walker back. :D

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Thats another one of the things that is making it more enjoyable this season. No interuption.

I agree about the commentator, he sounds a bit like a horse race commentator at the start of the race, but like it the whole GP, almost like he is reading from a sheet.

I just remembered, a classic itv break moment, when hakkinen won the title in 98, he was in a battle with schumi, schumi had to win or something along those lines, with hakkinen finishing in a certain place or lower, and during an add break schumi had a puncture, pulled out of the race, and mika had become champion whilst pitting. itv came back from the break and either martin or murray said, as a pic of mika in the pits was up, "you are looking at the new F1 champion" or similar. so breaks are a pain, not any longer though ehh!
Last edited by mattb78 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I Live Here

Postby batespcm » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:59 pm

Murray gave it up because of his health i believe, he liked to walk a lap at every circuit, and hen he felt he could no longer do this it was time to call it a day!

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:11 pm

fair play to the guy, he had been doing it for over 50 years!

I did read an interview with him, when they announced bbc were taking it back on again, and he said he would have to think seriously about it if they asked him back, but he said it wouldnt be a straight no.

I did love that guy though.

Mayor

Postby JhnStcks » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 pm

eemarket wrote:Well done to Honda for financing the birth of the braun team

Don't you mean Richard Branson seeing as he is putting up the money to run the team

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:25 pm

JhnStcks wrote:
eemarket wrote:Well done to Honda for financing the birth of the braun team

Don't you mean Richard Branson seeing as he is putting up the money to run the team

No, in an interview with Eddie Jordan, he praised Honda for their help and commitment for 2009, as confirmed here :-

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45216

No Life

Postby gordym75 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I haven't watched F1 in years. Used to love it when i was younger and guys like Ayrton Senna were around but I lost interest when it became a case of everyone driving round for a couple of hours and then Schumacher wins.

It seems to be getting back to the way it was in the early nineties for entertainment but i just cant seem to get back into it.

I Live Here

Postby batespcm » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Same as above I have not watched for years it became very boring!

Postby mattb78 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:19 pm

I did get bored of the schumacher era, and it was getting all too predictable, but I stuck with it just in the hope that something would change.

Then it did, other drivers starting winning, other teams started winning. and now they have taken the cars back to basics (almost) with regards to the simple bodywork, no little flipups and funnels sticking out everywhere, also slick tyres is a welcome return.

Postby mattb78 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:25 pm

Well done Button on the win in bahrain. what a great drive, and an equally great move on hamilton to make sure he didnt get stuck behind him for too long. And then a controlled drive to secure one of his best wins so far. :cheers:

I Live Here

Postby batespcm » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 pm

is Lewis a cheat?

Postby mattb78 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 am

I dont think it is lewis who is the cheat, he asked a question and the answer he was given was wrong, the engineer who told him the answer was the one cheating. lewis didnt make it any better by lying, but I imagine he was told what to do there as well.

Postby seamus » Fri May 08, 2009 4:53 pm

I have to add a coment or two here,

there wasnt any cheating with Hamilton or McLaren,
they were asked if there had been any contact with the team and Hamilton over the radio, regarding Hamilton being overtaken under the safety car,
Hamilton was told by his team to say "no there wasnt any contact about it over the radio"
which turned out not to be true,
not what you'd call cheating, not really played by the rules either though

and another point made earlier in the post that Hamilton had his racing carreer handed to him on a plate,
I'd dissagree with that,
His dad worked hard, two jobs, one of them on the railways, to get Lewis into racing,
Lewis obviously has the talent as a racing driver, thats got him where he is now,
nothing has been handed to him, I wouldnt say so anyway,

Button, its good seeing him having a good season, he's an exellent driver, he's just never had a decent car,
his own fault some would say,
he did try and jump ship half way through a season, good few years ago now,
he was offered a drive with McLaren, and tried to leave Honda to go to McLaren, mid season,
Honda put a stop to that as he had a contract with them till the end of the season,
this, I would think, kept Button out of a decent car and stuck at Honda,
it made him look like he wasnt a team player, and why would a team employ him if he's quite willing to ditch the team half way through a season?

It would be good to see Button challenging for the title this year,
and its always good seeing ferrari struggle, its about time to be honest,

good season so far, and should carry on being entertaining,

Next

Return to Off Topic Chat