Register

Need an upgrade

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

Need an upgrade

Postby Sash » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Has anyone upgraded zen cart manually?? I really need to upgrade ,mine is still on 1.39d , but thinking of it is scary,,

But it needs to be done as i have a few mods on this version that dont work and has messed up the checkout,, but i dont know where to start in deleting the different parts,

So if i put the site on a fresh install , i'll know which mods are on,,

think i do have the option of a automatic upgrade through softilicious but as said i have mods causing problems i dont want carried over.

anyone got a step by step they have done ,

without referring me to some webpage, i use google for that..

thanks

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 pm

I've always used installatron to install zen cart and then clicked the button to upgrade. I never had problems with mods not working. At the moment installatron only offers the new v1.5.0 which is really only in beta mode, I don't get the option to install older versions.

Lots of mods don't work with v1.5.0 so you might not want to upgrade to that one yet. I installed it on a site for a friend and it doesn't even have the editor, you can only type in normal type, no html at all so you have to upload a mod to even do that. I couldn't get EP to work, luckily I don't need that on the site I'm doing but not sure what other mods don't work yet.

You could check and see if softilicious still offers some of the older versions. I like v.1.3.9h got that on quite a few of my sites and haven't had a problem with it.

I think going from v.1.3.9d to v.1.5.0 there will be loads of files to change as from what I've read you have to go through every upgrade step by step ie from v.1.3.9d to v1.3.9e to v1.3.9f and so on and to me sounds pretty daunting, but going to a fresh install of v.1.50 so many mods don't work.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Postby Sash » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi LL , yea it was mostly so i could clean up this version , as i have a couple of mods that clearly dont work, so a fresh install will be what i would need,,

I could try and uninstall the broken mods , but if i mess it up i could kill the whole site.

dont think i would go up to the latest, like you said its a "in progress version"

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm

What are the mods that don't work? I would have thought most would still work in the version you're using

Postby Sash » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

I put in numinix product fields in order to get the EAN numbers on,

but i updated ceon mapping and it killed the numinix module, plus i need to get rid of a module as its causing an error that gives a "whoops your not allowed to perform this action, when people add to the cart without registering first,,

It was a scary expierence updating the ceon as its the first update ive done,,

which works great,

But now , without the numinix product fields , i cant add anymore products.. as google base feed needs EAN numbers.

so best thing to do is a clean install and add new mods back in..

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 pm

oh that's all a bit beyond me :lol: I got someone to install the google feed module on my site for me.

I hope you get it all sorted.

Postby Sash » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 pm

have you got a module for EAN numbers on your site?? as the google feed gets rejected if the feed doesnt include them,, only exception is handmade or goods that dont have a number..

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

I haven't used it for a couple of months but didn't have any EAN number as far as I'm aware, only have model numbers. How would google know if the items have an EAN number or not.

I know in a way we need google but they annoy me now, always demanding more and more from sellers, they are nothng but a pain in the butt now. I used the google feed with my lingerie site and it kept telling me I needed sizes although the size was there 'one size' If they are going to interfere so much they should learn what sizes lingerie comes in :lol: so I don't bother with it now.

Postby Sash » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Pretty sure it has to do with the "Mobile" era , so people can Scan an items (barcode) if they were in shop e.g . and find it easily online via the EAN number (barcode) obviously maybe more to it,

I had the whole feed rejected because a few EAN numbers missing, they dont just disallow a few items, if people dont get it right , the whole lot is rejected...

So now terrified to add more products without the stupid numbers...

King Member

Postby Wayzgoose » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:09 am

It doesn't have to be an EAN number, it can be an MPN (Manufacturer's Part Number). You can "adjust" that one far more easily! With the MPN and the Brand you should be ok.

Postby Sash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 am

Wayzgoose wrote:It doesn't have to be an EAN number, it can be an MPN (Manufacturer's Part Number). You can "adjust" that one far more easily! With the MPN and the Brand you should be ok.

Yea i do that for some products , but the main ones i dont have an MPN , so i have to use the EAN, and thats the ones google are being difficult with,,

King Member

Postby Wayzgoose » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:49 am

So use an MPN instead ;-)

Postby Sash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Sash wrote:but the main ones i dont have an MPN

King Member

Postby Wayzgoose » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm

If you bought the same goods from a different supplier it's quite likely they would have a different code anyway so use your imagination!

Return to Other Carts