Register

How do you run an xml feed in Zen Cart

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

-# Moderator

How do you run an xml feed in Zen Cart

Postby laggardlady » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 pm

As the title, how do you run an xml feed in zen cart. What do you do with it? I tried opening it in excel but couldn't manage it. When I open it from the site where it can be downladed it states at the top

------------
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
-----------------

Does that mean there's something wrong with it? As you can tell by the questions I know absolutely nothing about xml files.

Any bits of information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Postby Sash » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Not sure if this is what you need, but i had the same problem when opening them in excel,(u get the same stuff duplicated),, If you download the froogle file of it in easy populate (tip from Mr Redspell), it shows fine,,,,

If thats not what you mean i aint got a clue lol..
Last edited by Sash on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby firewall » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 pm

where are you getting the file from ..are you using a zencart add on

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:46 pm

The file is from a supplier to populate the site. I asked about a csv file and they said they had this xml feed. I thought I could open it in excel but can't do it and I have no idea what to do with it.

I've tried reading about xml feeds but don't really understand it all. :blush:

Postby Sash » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

you do get programmes to change from xml to csv,IF and HOW i dont know,Goodluck...

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks sash. I'll do a bit more reading and also contact the supplier.

Postby firewall » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:45 pm

have you tried converting the file to excel ....
I have managed to open a xml file in excel ..it was a while ago ..if you still need help I'll look for a xml file and try open it again

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Firewall, I've tried opening it in excel but it won't do it, says there are errors in it.

I do remember previously being able to open one in excel but this one must have errors although I don't see how others can use it if it has errors. It's really something I'll have to read up on and try and get some understanding off but it's difficult because although I would like to work with them I'm not really interested in learning it all :lol:

Postby Sash » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 am

Did you ever find a solution to this???

-# Moderator

Postby laggardlady » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 am

Sash, no sorry I didn't. I didn't take it any further because it's not something I have much interest in learning and I find when I've no interest I can't really learn.

Postby Sash » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 am

No probs, i have quite a few xml feeds i could use, but cant! because i cant find anything that can use them,

WOnder why suppliers supply xml files, when loads of people cant use them,

Strange because in zen cart admin it uploads to google base from an xml file,, but wont allow import of xml,,,

Dont know lol,,

seen a few "pay for" modules But what one is it lol

Postby BargainMania » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Open a blank page, click on data, xml, import xml.

After you have imported you xml file, you can save as a tab delimitted text file. Then you can change the headings for that file and save.

Hope that helps you out

Alistair
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Is reading in the bathroom considered multi-tasking?

Postby BargainMania » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Sash wrote:No probs, i have quite a few xml feeds i could use, but cant! because i cant find anything that can use them,

WOnder why suppliers supply xml files, when loads of people cant use them,

Strange because in zen cart admin it uploads to google base from an xml file,, but wont allow import of xml,,,

Dont know lol,,

seen a few "pay for" modules But what one is it lol

You see, every supplier (of data feeds) probably has their own FORMAT in which that data is configured. And it is very UNLIKELY that their format is instantly compatible with the format that Zencart needs/uses to populate its product data.

So, somehow, the feed data needs to be "re-assembled" before it can be sent into the ZC database.

Everybody's needs are different. But in ALL cases, no two are alike, because their feeds are very differently formatted. So a BESPOKE system would have to be written for each

Alistair
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Is reading in the bathroom considered multi-tasking?

Just Starting Out

Postby essexboyracer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:10 am

Hi There, I have been looking at using XML Product Feeds (for affiliate IM not dropshipping).

BargainMania is correct in that something bespoke would have to be written and it will involve some programming etc Basically I see it working thus:

1. Grab the feed from the suppliers URL
2. Optionally unzip the feed (depending on the feed content, but if you are looking at basic content, title, description, price, image etc 4,000 products could be 5MB uncompressed)
3. Run the unzipped file through your XML parser, there are some out there and PHP has a built in extension called SimpleXML. You will need to do this differently for each suppliers feed as BargainMania says
4. Import the newly created XML file into ZC (or optionally in step 3 transform the XML into a flat CSV file)
5. Do all this on a cron job at 12 midnight

I spent a while looking for an off-the-shelf solution to do this without too much hassle and found a content management system called Symphony-cms which uses XML as its native data store. You need to get your head around some confusing drupal like terminology but once there and with a few mods it can be workable, if your only doing affiliate links. Not sure how it would work within a cart environment.

I had spoken with a chap who did a module for opencart that imported feeds from various sources, it was half developed but promised everything.

Return to Other Carts