Register

Problem with currency converter

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

King Member

Problem with currency converter

Postby Wayzgoose » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Has anyone been having a problem updating currencies in the last few days? I use 6 currencies and, randomly, two will come back as 0. Sometimes this is GBP (the default). Not very good to give everything away for free !! I've disabled the converter box for now until I find out if it's a general problem or just my site having a hissy fit.

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:03 am

The sites used are probably overloaded doing tourists currency conversions, LOL.

Just tried on one of my test sites and got these messages.....

Success The exchange rate for US Dollar (USD) was updated successfully via oanda.
Warning Warning: The primary exchange rate server (oanda) failed for Euro (EUR) - trying the secondary exchange rate server.
Error Error: The exchange rate for Euro (EUR) was not updated via xe. Is it a valid currency code?
Success The exchange rate for GB Pound (GBP) was updated successfully via xe.

Nothing returned a zero.

Another test site returned these messages..

Success The exchange rate for US Dollar (USD) was updated successfully via oanda.
Warning Warning: The primary exchange rate server (oanda) failed for Euro (EUR) - trying the secondary exchange rate server.
Error Error: The exchange rate for Euro (EUR) was not updated via xe. Is it a valid currency code?
Warning Warning: The primary exchange rate server (oanda) failed for GB Pound (GBP) - trying the secondary exchange rate server.
Error Error: The exchange rate for GB Pound (GBP) was not updated via xe. Is it a valid currency code?

I would guess that we have a problem with the converters.
Last edited by eemarket on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Member

Postby Wayzgoose » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:12 am

The ones coming back as 0 are the failures on Oanda but say success on XE. Can't work out why it occasionally sets GBP to 0. Just glad I noticed - I can imagine I would have had a lot of orders from USA and Australia.
Last edited by Wayzgoose on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

I Live Here

Postby eemarket » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 am

For International payments I only use PayPal, customers can pay in Euro, $US and GBP into PayPal sub-accounts for each of those currencies.
Better than me trying to remember to update my currencies in Zen which could cost me some profits.
Open Cart does it automatically, but I still do it via PayPal.

I buy stock from Germany, so the Euro account is used for that, I've just got a new supplier from USA and the $ account will be used to buy stock from them.

PayPal is a great tool, trouble is not many people use it for more than basic payments in their local curency.

Just Starting Out

Postby latief » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:11 am

Maybe you can try 3rd party currency converter. For example: http://www.exchangerate-api.com/

Return to Other Carts