Register

Zen Cart vs. Others

A discussion area for other carts not listed above

Moderator: Staff

Just Starting Out

Zen Cart vs. Others

Postby Faustino » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 am

Im just in the process of setting up a website and have installed Zen Cart. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the real advantages are of paying for a cart over just using Zen Cart?

Also any opinions on osCommerce would be welcome - Im new to this and cant work out whether its the same as Zen Cart or more of a website builder with cart or what?

Just Starting Out

Postby WardStone » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Although I am not dropshipping at the moment (I'm just looking around)... over the years I have setup online stores for people or helped them recover from a hack (I'm a developer by trade), that was down to a them having poor installation (by someone else I might add)

Oscommerce 2.x is a bit of a nightmare code wise - it feels messy, and I really don't like the way its built. I've also had too many people with security issues.

Now, dont get me wrong - I am not saying that Oscommerce has poor security.... its "OK", but I feel that you need to make sure you have really done your homework and installed the security addons, and locked down the website properly - rather than just using a default install. Saying that, security due diligence should be done on any cart installation.

oscommerce 3 is nearly out of the door - and from my understanding... it is a different animal. I'm personally not going to look at it until it has matured a little.

On a personal note - I actually like the look of magento, the way it feels etc... it can be low cost(even free), but the potential for needing the enterprise edition worries me :)

I am probably going to start out using zencart (which has its roots in oscommerce), although if what I do takes off - then you will probably find me switching to magento.

prestacart, open cart, cs cart etc are all good alternatives though.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Last edited by WardStone on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Other Carts